Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why do I play golf?

It's been a while since I've written here, so I thought I'd start up again by answering the "advanced preparation" question from between chapter three and chapter four: why do I play golf?

Here are my top 10 reasons, in no particular order:


  • Golf challenges me. There's always some aspect of my game to improve, always some part that I need to work on.

  • It's an activity that combines the mental and physical. Both are necessary to play well, and I love to do just about anything that combines both.

  • It's a physical activity that I don't have to be a super athlete to do well. While being fit helps, I don't need to be the fastest, strongest, or most aggressive to do well.

  • I like to walk. It's good exercise, but I don't feel like I'm killing myself.

  • Playing by myself in the late evening is one of the most peaceful things I can think of. I love that.

  • Golf is a nice blend of skill, equipment/technology, and luck. I like to do just about anything that involves all three.

  • I've met some interesting people, and some people I'd now consider friends through golf. I'm sure I'll meet more. It also gives me a good way to relate to others (extended family, neighbors, etc) that I had a hard time relating to before.

  • It gets me out of the house for a few hours at a time. I work from home, so if I don't make time to play golf (or do other things, I suppose), then I sometimes go for a few days without getting out.

  • I like activities that are a nice balance of open-endedness and precision. Golf is both . . . there are many ways to the same score, but ultimately, you have to get the ball in that tiny little hole in as few strokes as possible.

  • This may too negative, but I've invested enough time and resources into getting better at golf, and I've improved enough, that it'd be a shame NOT to play at this point :). Not that I'd keep going if I really didn't enjoy it, but there's enough investment that when I'm feeling down or frustrated about my game, a reason like this is enough to pull me through the chaos and into a new place in my golf experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment